There is a book by Orhan Pamuk titled "The New Life". I received it at Christmas 2007 & I read it several months ago. And it was something special.
Many years ago I heard an opinion that novels first of all should tell interesting stories. I mean that's wonderful when you wanna read more & more, having this intoxicating, involving feeling. When I was a child it happened to me many times - almost each novel was like a drug, I was honestly forgetting about whole word and its problems. Unfortunately, it was one of those things I lost while I was growing up.
But with "The New Life" it happened again. When I was reading, the novel was the only important thing. I had no deeper afterthought about a plot - I was just this child who used to read books for a delusion of freedom, real feelings, being important, etc. Yeah, substitutes...
The feeling was so cool that I decided to read some parts once again - and the conclusions reached me... because the novel is about that. Exactly, it's about seeking for impossible dreams, delusions & feelings found in a novel. About an escape from real life into dreams, travelling around without a sense, trying to catch non-existent mirage. And about sadness. You even don't know what caused that sorrow - solitude, blindness or following a despair with its delusions. For me was like a parable - you must appreciate good stuff in your own life before it will be too late.
It's easy to say that I should have proper dreams. But unfortunately, following these orders has caused me some difficulties. Maybe is a matter of an underestimation. Because the dreams could be like additives. You know how harmful they are but you can't resist a temptation. They're just so good comparing to reality, so beautiful... Another utopia.
I've already known that my dreams will never come true. It's nothing more to say. Probably the main reason is that almost all become to the past or their realisation doesn't depend on me. I'm helpless like a child. The only way is to wish myself something else. But more probably I'll finish like Osman from "The New Life" - illuminated with a real sense of life, wanting to receive one chance more, just desiring to go back to that "unsatisfied" life.
It's ridiculous when I'm trying to express myself by describing a superficial surface of my feelings and sending it by net to nowhere. But it's still better that nothing.
Anyway, "The New Life" by Orhan Pamuk is a really good novel. Strongly recommended.
http://wiadomosci.24polska.pl/news/papierowy_swiat_pamuka_29159.html
OdpowiedzUsuń